How to entertain kids on airplanes:
- Coloring book & doodle pad with crayons, colored pencils, or markers.
- Blank envelopes for putting things into and taking them back out.
- New books.
- Tons of (relatively finger food-ish) snacks (Handi-Snacks breadsticks and cheese are a big favorite).
- A cup of crushed ice.
- Hot Wheels cars
- New dollar store toys in a fun little backpack or bag – something new and inexpensive if they are lost on the plane.
- A portable DVD player & various DVD’s (Lil’ Duck loves Clifford, Veggie Tales, and Monsters Inc.)
- Stickers or a box of colorful band-aids
- Small container of play-doh
- Silly putty
- New plastic farm animals
- New shape sorters & wooden puzzles (for kids who can do them without being either frustrated or bored).
- iPod or other music player with baby-friendly headphones & their favorite music (many little ones like the Wiggles).
Hindu Mommy has some general tips about traveling with children up to 6 years old as well – if you have more tips to share, put them in comments and I’ll add you here!