Creative Ways to Connect with your Child
It goes without saying that life can be busy. From running a household to the craziness of a job to keeping up with friends and family, it can sometimes feel as if you have no time to yourself. However, despite how crazy the day-to-day may be, it’s more important now than ever to spend time with your children and to ensure that you are really connecting with them.
Having a healthy and happy relationship with your kiddos is a priority to ensure that they grow up with positive values and in order to build a relationship that both you and they will value for years to come. Keep reading to learn about the most creative ways to connect with your children time and time again in order to facilitate that meaningful and amazing relationship.
Find a new hobby together
– it can be hard to find the time to meaningfully bond with your kiddos. Finding a new hobby that you can all enjoy together is a great way to facilitate that special time. Whether it’s sewing or crafting, a pottery class, something athletic, or anything in between, it’ll be a great time for you to connect with your kids and it’s also something you’re all sure to enjoy!
Cook together a few times a week
– like we mentioned above, it can be tricky to carve out the time to spend special moments with your kids. So why not build that quality time into an everyday activity that they will love? Inviting them to cook with you is a great way to spend time together, to take advantage of some catch-up time, and to work towards a common goal. Cooking with your children actually has a host of other benefits to it, too, so it’s a no-brainer!
– this is a small gesture that can go a long way in assisting in building a bond with your little ones. Take the time out of your day to tell them what you appreciate about them. It doesn’t have to be something big – it can be as simple as, “I appreciate when you color me a picture,” or, “I appreciate when you help clear the table.” This helps to instill an attitude of gratitude in your kid, and it definitely does its part in making them feel special.
– smartphones, tablets, and television can seriously get in the way of quality time (not to mention the fact that they can wreak havoc on everyone’s eyes!). Kids get an average of five hours of screen time each day, and experts are citing too much tech time as a reason for weight gain, inactivity, and even issues engaging in real-life socialization. Try setting time aside as a family to separate from technology and take the time to bond and to relish one another’s company!
Read to them
– is there anything as fun as diving into a good story? Doing this with your kids on a nightly or weekly basis not only gives them a peek into the wonderful world of reading, but it also is a great way to spend time together! Reading with your children has a myriad of benefits, such as increasing their vocabulary skills, boosting their creativity, and instilling a sense of self-confidence and higher self esteem. Plus, picking a story that you’ll both love is the perfect way to connect and enjoy something together.
Nothing could be more important than the health and wellness of your children, and keeping connected with them only serves to make them happier. Enjoy your time with them in these creative yet simple ways and we know that you’ll all be glad you did!
By Naomi Shaw