8 ways to remove permanent marker stains

Here are 8 ways to remove permanent marker stains! Lil’ Duck and his friends have found the Sharpie permanent markers on occasion and boy can those make a mess! Thankfully, it can be removed, although I still need to work on the carpet. With this list, be careful as to the surface, as some of these things will ruin certain surfaces. I’d suggest spot-testing and using common sense (i.e. not putting bleach on carpet, not using chemicals on skin, etc. ;)). Now if only I could get red koolaid out of carpet…

1. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (also works for crayons, but don’t use it on skin, of course)
  2. WD-40
  3. Anti-bacterial hand gel
  4. Hairspray
  5. Cooking spray
  6. Nail polish remover
  7. Bleach (depending on the surface)
  8. Goof Off

*Updated to add other suggestions….

Eagles Wings suggested acetone for taking sharpies right off of plastic or hard surfaces (keep away from children, of course).

Renee said that rubbing alcohol will also remove permanent markers from smooth surfaces.

Mz Jay had an incident where:

My daughter got her hands on a thick black permanent marker(sharpie) she drew on paper but quite alot of it got on the kitchen table that has a wood finish on top. I used toothpaste and a toothbrush and it removed all the marker on the table! I let the toothpaste sit on all the marks for about 5 minutes and got an old toothbrush and scrubbed away! My table does not have any marker left on it, and the best part is that the toothpaste did not ruin my wood table or the finish that’s on it. I would suggest using the white toothpaste rather than the gel types that are on the market.

457 Responses to 8 ways to remove permanent marker stains

1. Kelly September 1, 2012 at 7:42 am #

OMG!! My granddaughtes wrote on my white formica kitchen cabinets with an orange sharpie makrer. The white toothpaste took it all off. Thanks a million!!!

2. Vickie Brown August 31, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Grandson put black. marker on hardware floor carpert wooden puzzle little on his toes small amt couch leather need help

3. laila August 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

thank god got it of with nail. polish

4. laila August 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

how does it come of skin ,i tried washing my hands with soap and water.

5. Ande August 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Just wanted to let you know that shaving cream takes out stains on carpets!
    Cheers!

6. Abi August 25, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Anti bacterial gel works! Thank you soo much you saved my life(;

7. Carolyn August 25, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

I had a smiliar problem with my granddaughter and a marker on the kitchen wooden table. I used several things that didn’t work. I tried the toothpase, and it worked. Thanks to the person who posted this. It saved the day.

8. N/A August 25, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

My daughter wrote with sharpie all over the walls in my bedroom with sharpie. I tried everything, but to no avail. Finally, when we were about to just paint over it, my oldest daughter suggested sunscreen. I was a bit skeptical at first, but gave it a try. I was surprised to find the sharpie simply wiping away with a tissue. It worked instantly, and we didn’t even have to scrub to get it off! It just wiped away!

9. Aysha August 24, 2012 at 2:57 am #

10. Erin W August 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Thanks to Mz Jay for the toothpaste idea. It worked like a charm on my lacquered desk. I left it on for about an hour, then rubbed it off with a damp cloth. No more marker stains